Wednesday, February 26, 2014

House of Their Dreams

One American Family's Journey away from the typical American Dream



"The other day I stumbled upon a song that played as I was cleaning up and organizing my kid’s room. It played once and the lyrics grabbed my attention. I knew it was a song about the state of today’s American Family and what it has become. And sadly enough, it was shockingly accurate – word for word.

I played the song over and over on repeat for the entire afternoon. Tears flowed at the sad realization that right along with million of other normal American families, we too were quickly becoming the family the song writer sang about.

Isolated lives, addictions, moral failure, chasing possessions and apathy were the things that were quickly defining us as a typical American family of four.

Our lives had subtly become so noisy, over-busy and scattered that by default we found ourselves living in the same house, but going our own separate ways.

But what I love most about the song and the story is that it didn’t end there.

As much as I found much comfort as I related our own story to the one of the song, my heart welled up with hope for the millions of other American families who don’t have to continue down the same road so many are on."

Rachel Rowell on February 4, 2014 in Counterculture, Family http://thelightlifeblog.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment